This is how you make it
- Put 5 liters of water in a pan. Add the shiitake and kombu here and soak for at least one night (up to 24 hours).
- Remove the shiitake and kombu pieces from the water. Cut the shiitake into small pieces. Discard the kombu.
- Chop the onion as fine as possible. Melt the coconut oil in a stockpot and fry the onion for 2 minutes. Crush the garlic and grate the ginger. Add and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze with the soaking liquid (the dashi). Add the tamari and simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
- Make a thin paste of the miso with some water or the dashi. Turn off the heat. Stir the miso into the stock. Add some tamari or extra miso to taste.
- Cook your favorite vegetables, tofu, tempeh or seitan in the stock.
- Make sushi or seaweed salads for a real Japanese dinner!
Tip(s)Do you want even deeper flavors? Make the stock a day in advance and let the miso stock sit in the fridge overnight.